This is my free knitting pattern for a super simple, easy to knit seed stitch cowl. It uses one skein of yarn, and can be knitted up in one night, making it a perfect and affordable last-minute present! It’s knit in the round, so there’s no seaming at the end, and it’s really warm and cozy.

Supplies:

• 1 skein, Bernat Roving yarn, in a light grey
  • Size 13 circular needles (hat sized length)
  • Darning needles, for weaving in ends

Instructions:

1. Cast on 49 stitches onto your size 13 circular needles. If you’d like to make the cowl wider or smaller, just make sure to cast on an odd number of stitches, because when working the seed stitch in the round, it will create a funny ridge if you use an even number of stitches.

2. Join the work together in the round, making sure not to twist any stitches. Work entire piece in the seed stitch. k1, p1, all the way across the row. When you get to the next row, continue this, and you’ll be knitting all of your purl stitches, and purling all of your knit stitches. This gives it the textured look of the seed stitch. [ Note: I've always confused the moss stitch and the seed stitch. I'm fairly sure this is the seed stitch, but please correct me if I'm wrong! ]

3. Continue working the seed stitch until you are almost out of yarn, making sure you’ve left enough yarn to bind off. Bind off loosely — this is important, because you don’t want the top of the cowl to be tight. Weave in your ends, and your cowl is complete!

128 Responses to One Skein, One Night, Seed Stitch Tall Cowl [ Easy, Free Knitting Pattern ]

1. Karen T says:

That yarn looks so pretty with the seed stitch.

2. Cheryl says:

Love this cowl! Thanks for providing it free. I’m using some stash for this and not sure how long you made your cowl. Can you tell me approximately how long you made yours?

Thank you!

• knitandbake says:

Hi Cheryl! Glad you like it. It’s roughly 12″ tall, but it would work if it were a little shorter or longer, depending on how much yarn you have :)

• Cheryl says:

Thanks for e quick reply! I think I am almost done then. Can’t wait to try it on. I live in AZ so it’s starting to get too warm for cowls but great for the still cool mornings. Thanks again!

3. Kerry says:

I have just discovered your Facebook page and LOVE it. SO many great ideas. I am a real beginner knitter, only knitted the odd jumper and hat for my three boys but now I have had a girl I would love to try some more complicated patterns!! I have never knitted for myself but I would love to try this. I have also never knitted with circular needles so I was just wondering when you say join your work together do you mean after you have knitted your 49 stitches you just keep going round to form the circle? Sorry if this makes no sense at all!!! I do know that moss and seed are the same stitch, just the American and English terms. Many thanks.

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for checking out the blog! You would join the work after you’ve cast on your stitches, and before you start knitting. If you’re confused, try youtube-ing “knitting in the round” or “knitting on double pointed needles” and it should help!

Good luck!!
      k&b

4. Gail Terres says:

Love the cowl —- it is on my list of “to do” —- thanks, Gail

5. Stephanie says:

I think I can actually manage this one! I may try it.

6. Aurelie says:

Hi! Could you tell me what the circumference of the cowl is? I just wonder because I may want to make it wider, but I need to know how big it is first. Thanks!

• knitandbake says:

Hi there! I actually gave the cowl to a friend awhile ago, so I don’t have it to measure again! Hopefully the photos will give you an idea!

7. Amy says:

This is my first knitting project and I’m almost done.. at about 9 inches now! Just wondering did you bind off in pattern (using the seed stitch)or using a different method?

Thanks!

8. Kelley says:

What cast on method did you use? It looks different than any I have tried.

• knitandbake says:

Hi there! I actually don’t know what my method is, I just call it the normal method! Sorry, that’s probably completely unhelpful!

9. [...] In addition to the awesome slouchy hats, I have also made a few of these simple cowls recently. They are incredibly easy to make. This is one of those projects that you can work on mindlessly while watching TV. I even taught one of my wonderful models how to knit using this pattern. They make excellent gifts! For this cowl, I used Paton’s Wool Roving in Cherry. You can see the free pattern here. [...]

10. Kayla says:

I love this! Did you ever consider selling these? If so I would love to buy one!!

11. Luci says:

Thank you for this easy pattern. For anyone who, like me, wasn’t sure what a “hat length” was for the 13″ circular needle, I found a 16 inch length was perfect. I haven’t knitted for awhile(okay, many many years) and tried a couple larger sizes first before getting to this size, which worked perfectly.

12. Bethany says:

I just bought a skein of Bernat roving in grey to make this pattern, having not yet noted what yarn you used, and was surprised to find that is exactly what you chose as well. I am having difficulties as I cast on with the roving untwisting and pulling apart. It seems very delicate to work with. Did you have any problems with this, and do you have any tips?

• knitandbake says:

Hi Bethany! The first time I used the yarn, the same thing happened to me, it kept pulling apart. I almost tried to return it!! But after trying it again, I found that if I just didn’t pull as hard, it worked fine. Let me know if you ended up getting the yarn to stay together!

13. Thanks for sharing! I love simple cowls like these- so rewarding to finish :)
    xo

14. cyndi says:

I love your website!! Just went here with a link but for sure I will be back to enjoy it :D

15. Sandi Richards says:

I understand the height is 12″.
    Could you please give the measurement of the flat folded width.
    I will be using different yarn.
    Thanks

• knitandbake says:

Hi there! I actually already gave this cowl to a friend, so I don’t have it to go measure. Sorry about that!

16. mary says:

Where can I buy this yarn?
    thanks for sharing :) it looks beautiful

17. Danielle says:

I’m having some trouble with the yarn – it seems that I must be twisting it or something as I knit and it unravels and the wool fibers pull apart and my cowl is then separate from my ball of yarn and I have to back track to get to an area that is strong enough to tie the yarn back together to keep knitting but the whole fiasco repeats soon after. Did you have any trouble like this? Do you have any tips for me? This yarn would be perfect if only I could use it! Thank you! I love the pattern and am going to knit up a ton for Xmas gifts – just have to solve my yarn problem or find other soft yarn that is good for cowls.

• knitandbake says:

You know what — that happened to me the first time I used this yarn! I actually thought about returning it! But hasn’t happened since then. I think you might need to just knit a bit looser, and don’t pull quite as hard, and it should work fine! :) But, if you use another yarn of a similar size, it should be great too!

18. Gillian says:

I would like to knit this snood (cowl)in double knitting wool. What size circular needle would I use please? I love your website!! Thank You.

19. Gillian says:

What size needles to knit this snood in double knitting wool please? Thank You.

20. Valeen says:

I’m a relatively new knitter and I started this cowl today. It looks so pretty and can’t wait for it to be finished.

However, I seem to be ending up with columns rather the textured look. If that makes sense. It’s starting to look similar to your Brioche Stitch Cowl …. but I’m knitting one, purl one. If I end on a knit stitch, then I start the next row on a purl.

any ideas what I’m doing incorrectly?? would love to know, I’ve already started it over twice and still end up with the same thing.

• Valeen says:

*wanted to clarify that I’m not knitting on the circular as I didn’t have the correct needles, in case that is what is throwing me off.

• knitandbake says:

Hi there — to get the seed stitch look, make sure you are knitting your last purl stitches, and purling your last knitting stitches.

21. [...] made the “One Skein, One Night, Seed Stitch Tall Cowl” from knitandbake, which I, of course, found on Pinterest. Was I nuts to choose this as my first [...]

22. christina says:

what is the length on the size 13 needle

23. Shanna says:

I love this pattern! What length are “hat sized” circular needles? I’m so excited to make this! Perfect for Christmas gifts!

24. Hannah R says:

Your pattern is awesome and your directions are so easy to follow!! I knitted this up for my mother for her birthday and she LOVES it! Now my other family members and friends are starting to give me their ‘orders’ for Christmas, lol!

25. Deborah says:

Is this long enough to pull up over your head to wear as a hood? If not, how much longer do you think you would need?

• knitandbake says:

Hi there! This isn’t long enough to wear as a hood, but if you just keep knitting it longer, it will eventually! You’ll be able to try it on as you go.

26. Mary Ann Quinn says:

I saw your pattern for the one skein one night cowl and fell in love with it. I am working on getting a group together to donate their time to making the cowls for the victoms of Hurricane Sandy. Would love to hear thoughts on this project.
    Many Thanks for sharing,
    Mary Ann

27. Jihane says:

Love this! You used 13″ circular needles, but how long were they? 16″?

Thanks!

28. mariarrosa says:

I’ve just made one and I love it. Thank you very much.

29. Suzanne says:

I love this!! Definitely adding it to my list of must-makes for Christmas gifts. Quickie projects are the best.

• knitandbake says:

So glad you like it! And I know, especially when the holidays are coming up, nothing beats a quickie knitting project :) All my best!

30. kristen says:

i love it!! perfect for that odd skein i have laying around. thanks for sharing! : )

31. Josie says:

What method did you use to cast on your stitches? I know there are three different ways and wanted to see which method you used for the amount of stretch one would want on a cowl.

• knitandbake says:

You know what? I actually don’t know what my method is called :) I just call it the “normal” cast on, but I know that doesn’t help much!

32. [...] lovely gift made with circular needles with full instructions from knit and bake. Un regalo precioso hecho con agujas circulares (que me encantan). Instrucciones en knit [...]

33. Michelle says:

Great pattern! Going to start a few of these for Christmas gifts! Quick question–you mention the circular needles should be “hat-sized length.” What length is that, and what it I have circulars that are much longer? (The ones I have are 36″, would that still work?)

Thanks!

• knitandbake says:

Hi Michelle! Yes, you would need the smaller “hat size” (I believe 16″ in length) needles, otherwise your stitches won’t reach. All my best!

34. mariarrosa says:

I made one. It’s easy and awsome. Thank you very much for the pattern.

35. Jocelyn says:

Are your needles size 13US?

36. Nancy Bates says:

what size skein that is the only thing I was confused on

37. Valerie says:

Sooo…I’m new to knitting but you make this sound so easy, I decided to try it for Christmas gifts for the ladies in my life. I think I must be doing something wrong because mine is coming out ribbed instead of seed stitchy…what am I doing wrong? :)

• knitandbake says:

Hi there! If it’s coming out in ribbing, that means that you are one stitch off in your knitting — for seed stitch, you should be “knitting all your last purl stitches” and “purling all your last knitting stitches”. If you youtube some videos on the seed stitch, it might explain that better. Thanks!

38. C says:

Did you use 16in or 29in for the round?

39. Kristina says:

hi,
    just found your site after a quick google search for “beginner scarf knitting pattern”.
    quick question about this pattern – i don’t yet know how to knit in the round, could i use the seed stitch to create the garter stitch cowl pattern you also have? (hope that makes sense!)
    thanks!

• knitandbake says:

Hi Kristina! If you are knitting straight across, rather than on circular needles, you would just knit every row in order to create the same texture. Good luck!!

40. Amy says:

how many inches are hat sized circular needles?

41. Kelly says:

Wish I could this to Pinterest. LOVE it! Thank you for sharing.

42. Love this! Can you tell me about the yarn you used…it is a 5 or 6 chunky? Found another color I like and want to make sure I pick up the right type. Thank you! Found you through pinterest!

43. [...] Mommy played dress-up with her new wool cape (a.k.a. the anti-maternity winter coat) and self-made knitted cowl (based on this pattern). [...]

44. Jeifner says:

This is so pretty. It seems so easy maybe even I could make it. I think we’ve got needles in the round somewhere…

45. Emily says:

What method did you use for casting on your stitches? I am using a 16″ circular needle with size 13 needles; is that “hat size”?

• knitandbake says:

Hi there! Yes, I believe mine are also 16″ length needles. I use the regular old casting on method! I actually don’t know the name of it :)

46. Naomi TAylor says:

Hi, I am new to knitting but I love the look of this. can you please tell me how to join the ends. as said at the start of step 2.. That part I am unsure of :)

47. Ruth says:

Very simple and elegant cowl. I just found your site and love the combination of good food a beautiful knitted works.

48. Jena says:

I taught myself how to knit last night just to make this cowl scarf! I love it! My seed stitch isn’t coming out quite the way yours did – when you start a new row, are you supposed to repeat the stitch that you ended the last row with or switch to the opposite stitch??

• knitandbake says:

That’s awesome, congrats on learning how to knit! For the seed stitch, “Work entire piece in the seed stitch. k1, p1, all the way across the row. When you get to the next row, continue this, and you’ll be knitting all of your purl stitches, and purling all of your knit stitches.”
      Good luck!!

49. Fallon says:

I finished this cowl and I just love it! Thank you so much for the pattern! I also made one for my daughter that is a little smaller since she is only 4!

50. Caron says:

this is always such a surprisingly beautiful knit despite the simplicity of the pattern. I am using a different yarn and was curious as to what the overall length of the cowl ends up being? Thank you for posting these patterns FOR FREE on your site! I have also made the red cowl and it too is lovely!

• knitandbake says:

Hi Caron! Thanks for your kind words! The length of the cowl really just depends on how long you knit for :) You can make it longer or shorter, depending on what length you’d like!

Feel free to post any photos of finished projects on our facebook page, I’d love to include it in a post on reader’s finished projects!

51. [...] The seed stitch knitted cowl uses one skein and you can knit it in one night!  Here’s the link to the free pattern.  I have made 2 dozen, maybe more of these wonders!  And now, my daughter has [...]

52. Rose says:

Love the cowl! I made it for my cousin but now I think I need to make myself one. :-)

53. Liz says:

Am in the middle of making this cowl, and I love it so far!
    What yarn did you use for this? I’m using a much thicker yarn and the seed stitch looks different.

54. Gaby says:

Many thanks for sharing all of these amazing projects!!!!

55. Jerri says:

What is your gauge for this project? I want to use a different yarn, so I want to compare gauges. Thanks!

• knitandbake says:

You know what, I never checked! And I gave this cowl to a friend last year :) For these projects, I tend to just knit until I think it looks like it will fit – sorry about that! In my next projects, I’ll try to mark down the gauge, even if I’m not using it :)

56. Lynn says:

Thank you! I’m making one tonight!!!!

57. Christine says:

I love cowls as I wear a lot of V-neck sweaters. I found this pattern on Pinterest and made it in one evening. I love it, and have requests from friends and family to make one for them! I’m going to do your Cowl Sweater Shrug Wrap next. I’ve never used the brioche stitch before–it looks so pretty.

58. Maggie says:

Just found this on Pinterest and will definitely be making it, and possibly the cowl shrug wrap too. My new house is in dire of insulation & new windows so I am desperate for ways to keep warm.
    Just one question, I am a circular needle novice, do you turnover & start again when you finish a row? Or keep knitting straight across the join? Sorry if that sounds a bit basic, but I’ve never used a circular needle before. Thanks

59. Merinda says:

This pattern is perfect and knits up beautifully in the delicious Malabrigo Rasta http://malabrigoyarn.com/sub_yarn.php?id_sub_yarn=23. I used double-pointed needles instead, as I found it tricky to work the first few rows on my 13 cable needles. Thank you for sharing!

60. [...] found a few tutorials for bows that I think I can combined with a standard infinity scarf pattern like this one.  I am so into bows right now.  My wish for 2013 is that people stop putting moustaches on EVERY [...]

61. Jade says:

Knitting this right now! I love it! I also checked out your photography site, which is awesome as I’m sure you know. I’ve loved that shoot you did with 2NE1, and it’s awesome to see that you have this blog as well. It’s kind of fun when you find two things that are done by the same person, when you had no clue! Thanks for the pattern!

• knitandbake says:

Hi Jade! Thanks for the kind words and checking out both my sites! :) That’s so funny that you like 2NE1! They’re such fun girls. Do you like k-pop? Let me know how the cowl goes, and please do post a photo of it when it’s finished on the Facebook page! Facebook.com/knitandbake

• Jade says:

Aha yes I do…my heart will always have room for pop music! I have to start over because I did it with smaller needles & I didn’t really like it but it will be on the blog and I’ll link to here & the facebook!

62. [...] #1 and #2: This pattern from Knit and Bake. I can’t recommend it highly enough, it’s simple and genius. I used [...]

63. Love it. Can’t wait to may my own cow.

64. Maggie says:

I used this as inspiration to make a cowl for my little girl, my first foray into knitting in the round! It turned out pretty well. I ended up using a much lighter weight yarn, more of a Double Knit weight, as it was what I had handy. It looks fab, although took much longer than 1 night, that’ll be because thinner yarn needs more stitches – lesson learned, chunky wool on shopping list.
    Thanks for the pattern!
    (PS: I’ve always called this moss stitch)