I got the inspiration from a cowl/snood in the men’s section at Zara in New York City. Their cowl was with a finer, silkier yarn, but I made mine with a chunky, super warm grey wool. This pattern is really easy, knit in the round (no seams!) and can be knit up in a couple of nights. The k4, p4 pattern creates a horizontal ribbing or stripes that make it really easy to “scrunch” down when wearing the cowl.

Supplies:

• 2 skeins, Bernat Roving yarn (I used the color “Flint”, and had half a skein left over)
  • Size 13 circular needles
  • Darning needle, for weaving in the ends

Instructions:

1. Cast on 56 stitches onto your circular, size 13 needle.

2. Join work together, being careful not to twist any stitches. Place stitch marker where you joined the stitches. Work entire piece in the round, following this pattern: knit 4 rows, purl 4 rows.

3. Continue in this pattern until your cowl is roughly 10″ long when bunched up, or about 16-18 inches when stretched out. Mine had 19 “stripes” (19 stripes at 4 rows per stripe = 76 rows total). You can make it shorter or longer, depending on how you’d like to wear it! Finish your last row on a “purl” stripe, and only purl 3 rows, rather than 4. Then, bind off in the purl, and that will be your fourth row. Weave in any ends, and your cowl is ready!

50 Responses to Easy Striped Cowl Knitting Pattern [ knitandbake.com ]

1. nancy says:

Love it, thanks for sharing

2. Judith Cody says:

Can’t wait to make for my daughter, Michelle. Thanks for sharing.

3. Diann says:

Thank you for sharing this pattern.

4. knitandbake says:

Thanks for checking it out, everyone!

5. Metricula says:

I just made this! I posted mine on Ravelry and I made it a little longer. I love it! I work in a lab and it’s freezing ALL THE TIME. Cowls are perfect because they don’t get into my work like scarves can. Thanks so much for sharing–this was my first project!

6. carol says:

lovely – I have taught my grand-daughter to knit andshe could make this! thank-you

7. Melinda says:

This was too small around for me, I hate stuff being snug around my neck! I added 20 stitches and it’s perfect :o)

8. Margret says:

Thank you for sharing this pattern.Next week I’ll start with this nice warm looking project.Thanks!

9. Margarida says:

This is great!
    I need to get some yarn to make one of these.

10. Donna belmont says:

This is beautiful! I crocheted something like this, not in rounds, and just crocheted the 2 ends together.

11. [...] So, while Marlon putters around the kitchen or bonds with his Playstation after work, I blog, surf, read… or knit. One of the easy knitting projects I finished this week is a chunky ribbed cowl in electric blue alpaca wool, based on this pattern from Knit & Bake. [...]

12. anita says:

I’m sure I gona make this for myself. Thanks for the pattern and explaination.

13. Dana says:

What length US 13 knitting needles should be used?

14. Pauline O says:

This pattern has got my fingers itching to start knitting again. Off to the shop for wool tomorrow. Guess what folks are getting for Christmas this year? Thank you. Found this site whilst Sunday afternoon browsing.

15. amhers says:

hi there, can you tell me what size is size 13 for the needles? I’m from Romania and we have different sizes here…please give me a hint, I’m looking forward to your reply..thanks in advance.

16. dinny says:

help. i am a novice and can’t seem to make the stripes with 4 rows knit, then 4 rows purl. i am using straight needles.why does it not

17. dinny says:

help. i am using straight needles and the four rows of knit, then four rows of purl do not make the “stripes”. please help!
    dinny

• knitandbake says:

Hi there! These instruction are for knitting in the round, it won’t come out the same if you are knitting on straight needles.

18. Rachel says:

Love this! Made two in two days in a purple and beige. Thanks for the pattern!

19. Curt says:

I just started knitting and I love it. this looks like something I can do. Thanks

20. Jessica says:

Hi. I just posted this Loop on my blog: http://schoenstricken.de/2012/11/loopschal-fur-deinen-boy/. I love all of your work. Thanks.
    Jessica

21. [...] month ago. It took me a while to finally take some pictures, but here they are. I was inspired by this tutorial from a website called knit and bake (a lovely combination of handicrafts and [...]

• knitandbake says:

These look gorgeous! Would you mind if I post some of your photos of your project in a post featuring reader’s finished projects? All my best! Knitandbake

22. ruth says:

Could you let me k now if the needles you used for the man’s grey snood are british or american size 13.

23. Amber says:

What length circular cord did you use? This will be my first circular project =]

24. [...] Here are a few photos of finished projects from KnitandBake readers! You can click each photo to go to the pattern it was knit from! (These photos are from Linus’ Easy Dog Sweater and the Easy Striped Cowl). [...]

25. Leah says:

I am using this cowl pattern for the first time. I love the way it is turning out. Im making it for my husband. Im using the same yarn and color as the picture. This yarn is really nice to work with too. I am a beginner as of about a year ago and just started knitting in the round recently. Its not as intimidating as I thought. Thank you for sharing this great pattern!

26. Elisa hunt says:

Love this, Im a crochet wizard and have just started knitting the other night, this is exactly what I’m looking for! Man knitting take forever! How do people whip things up in one night? Do you just get faster with practice? Love the site thanks!!!

• knitandbake says:

Ooh, I’m so excited you’ve started knitting! My mother-in-law is a crocheter, I want to teach her to knit soon! YES — you will definitely get faster over time! I think your first few projects, you’ll be concentrating so much on what you’re doing that it won’t be the fastest. But, once you know the stitches so well that you could almost knit with your eyes closed, you’ll get a lot faster! Good luck! If you finish any projects from this site, please post finished work on our facebook! https://www.facebook.com/knitandbake

27. Augusto Guardado says:

I LOVE this cowl i made it and its perfect! ive been looking for a cowl like this forever and its exactly what ive been looking for! thank you so much for putting up this pattern!